Moonstone: Scene 6

G Major Affannosamente

Whomever came up with all this ritualistic crap needs to be killed. I have to wear special, one-reason only clothing for this remembrance ceremony, and, AND, it has to be used only once and then put away in a special area of my closet because I am a family member. Hellfire! This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard! If all my family members died, I would have to wear a different DISTINCT set of clothing for each remembrance ceremony! All because I am a Flower!

I'm standing here at the DPU just shaking my head as Itxata is flipping through the clothing catalog trying to determine the most exactly appropriate formal remembrance ceremony clothing to wear just for this one time. I am barely containing the urge to roll my eyes. Males have it so easy, they wear grey for ANY AND ALL remembrance ceremonies. Period. End of story. Not only do Flowers have to wear the appropriate formality depending on how close they are to the family member that died, they also have to incorporate something of the deceased's personlity into their attire if they are a relative.

"Ok, I have chosen the formality. You have to add the personal touch." Itxata looked triumphant, as if she had solved a major crisis. Urge to roll eyes... rising.
"So what do I add? How do I do this?" I moved my hand as if to touch the screen.
"NO! Don't touch the screen! I've spent CYCLES picking that out. Tell the DPU what you want to add."
"Ow! You don't have to hit me!"
"But you would have changed the clothing!"
"Ok, so what do I add?" Back to my original question.
She rolled her eyes at me. GAH!
"You need to incorporate two items, one from your, uh, brother's public personality, and one item that only your family would understand or recognize. They have to be CLEVER."
Clever?
"Ok, let me help you with the public item. You, er, your brother was into science, correct?"
"Yes. Mathematics to be exact." This was so freaking awkward.
"Oh, perfect. You see, that's a public personality. Now what were your favorite tools or whatever it was you-your brother used a lot."
"Uh well, books. Many, many books."
"DPU, Show us an abstracted graphic of a book."
Projected out into the air was an image of two lines with a rounded connector at an 1/8 of a circle's angle, plus two vertical straight lines - one extending from the rounded connector down, and the other from the lower of the two angled lines, down. Sure enough, the graphic hinted at a book.
Itxata looked at me, "Will that suffice?"
"Yes."
"DPU incorporate abstracted graphic into clothing pattern using appropriate formality."
Faster than I could understand what Itxata had just told the DPU, I saw the pattern, repeated semi-randomly over the clothing in the catalog display.
"Now, you do the same for a personal, family-only item."

"So, something that only my family would recognize about me-y brother?"
"Yes."
How did I used to be? I was straining to remember my life before the invasion of the foo foo. I liked quiet, and I didn't talk much. I snickered to myself, that hadn't changed. I also liked simplicity and minimalism. I guess I was kind of aloof.
"Something that's clever, right?"
"Yes, the more clever, the better you will be perceived."
"DPU, scale the previous graphic down to 1/4 of it's current size, and cut the total number of graphics down to 1/3, spacing capriciously. Also, recolor the graphics to match the clothing."
I watched as a lively pattern scaled and reduced into a very simple, minimalistic, tone-on-tone embroidered design.
"What does that signify?"
"Minimalism."
"That might be too overt. Let me help. DPU adjust color of family crest graphic to seasonal contrast."
She was right. My idea was overtly minimalistic. Her adjustment looked better. Only the abstract book graphic was the same tone as the wrap-style clothing, albeit in a different texture.
"DPU, print please."
"No gloves or handbag?"
"No, for remembrance ceremonies, you do not carry your handbag nor do you wear gloves."
"Oh. Where do I carry my Kyr?"
"Inside of your clothing. You'll see."
Oh I couldn't wait to see this. When the DPU chirped to signify that it was done printing, I went over to the pick-up unit to view the special clothing. Hellfire! This clothing was heavy! How many layers did I have to wear anyway?
"There are 17 layers, including your socks and shoes."
"Socks and Shoes? Not slippers?"
"No, you have to wear these special socks here, and those shoes."
I looked at where she was pointing. Wooden shoes? How was I supposed to walk in those platform-wooden shoes? I sat down on one of the lounges.
"It's not that hard. But we'd better get started dressing you, it will take some time to adjust everything correctly."
I swear, all I did was stand there after I put on my special undergarments while Itxata went around me with dizzying speed and color. I must have weighed four times my own body weight when she was done! I was wrapped tighter than a swaddled baby.
"Will I ever be able to dress myself?"
"Not for remembrance ceremonies, no. But hopefully you will not have many to go to. How does it feel?"
"Stiff."
"Good, you'll need the support for the ceremony. You'll be sitting on your heels a lot."
"How can I do that with those wooden shoes?"
"You take your shoes off, silly."
"Oh."
"Ok, let me show you how to store your Kyr."
I discovered walking was very restricted in this new clothing. My arms were fairly free, well, with the exception of all the added weight from the length of fabric hanging down from them. I managed to unlock my Kyr and remove it from the DPU after essentially re-learning how to walk and move."
"Well, at least you're naturally graceful." Itxata gave me a smirk.
I swear my Kyr was cooing.
"It's making the gentle, 'I know you're in mourning, so I hope I can soothe you' noises."
Ah. What?
"I told you, it's part of a living system between You and Your Flower. It knows your emotions."
Great. Just what I always wanted, a semi-living pet.
"Here, your Kyr goes into the back of your sash, where it's tied, like this." She slipped in the Kyr into a little pocket at my back while I watched in the mirrors.
"Now you need some cosmetics."
Oh great, face paint.
"The good thing is, your skin is naturally white, so you won't need the white powder."
"White powder?"
"All Flowers try to look pure white when we go to a family member's remembrance ceremony."
"Oh. But I have this freakish white skin, so I don't need to fake it."
"It's not freakish, it's that you are from the Energy race."
"And since I'm probably the last female of that race, it's freakish."
"I'm not going to talk politics with you."
"This is very weird. I used to be a male from the Air race, now I'm a female from the Energy race, mourning my old self."
"I think you're fortunate to be alive."
"True."
"Ok, now that your face is done, kneel. I need to do your hair and hat."
I discovered that the stiffness of my clothing actually helped relieve the pressure of kneeling quite a bit. This was definitely the most fuss I'd ever gone through.
Chirp! Chirp!
"Are you Flowers ready for the ceremony?"
"Yes sir, we have just finished preparing."
I reached up to feel my hair and my hand felt some sticks and other weird objects.
"Leave those alone!" She whispered.
"Good, ok, please join us in the Resonance Hall."
It was my brother Kellan's voice. I felt odd, uneasy.
Itxata beckoned me to follow her, and I found it was rather easy to stand up. Walking in those freakish wooden platform shoes with the strap between my toes was another story, however. I managed to get the hang of it before she opened the doors, though, so that was good. Kellan was waiting outside in the hall to escort us. He was staring at me. What the hellfire! Hadn't he ever seen his own sister in mourning before? heh.

We walked slowly through the hallways to the Resonance Hall. The house was becoming much more familiar as we entered the common areas. My uncle was not in the hall along with all of my brothers and Darx. I was sure he would have been back from the Arkh's palace by now.
"Your father has not returned, as I had assumed he would not. I will be commencing the ceremonies in his absence. If you would follow me please."
I was pulled away from Itxata and led out with my family. I still had no clue what I was supposed to do, or not do. GAH. There were seriously too many rules for females!
What was I supposed to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home