Hematite: Scene 1
It was raining.
It was raining the giant heavy drops that cling to your clothes and soak your bones. My hair is sticking to my head in clumps, directing the flow of water down into my face. I don't know why it took me so long to finish reading, but now that I'm done I have to walk home in the dark. There is so much silver glare in my eyes from the puddles of water under the streetlights that I have to stop and let my eyes re-adjust to the darkness every time I pass one. It's raining so heavily that the bricks in the road have a faint metallic scent. It's not so bad walking home this late, this way, there's no one around.
I hate waiting for the stupid sign to allow me to cross the street. I stand here and stand here and wait for it to change so that I can cross the street, but it's like it knows it's me wanting to cross and so it makes me wait longer on purpose! I wait here everyday while I'm tormented by the other students that live in this direction. I swear it does it on purpose!
Well, no one else is here now. I'm not waiting this time!
"HA! You can't stop me sign, I'm crossing now!" As I raised my hand in celebration of my little defiance, my books and papers scattered about like frightened birds.
"Ah hell."
I collapsed onto my knees to pick up my floating belongings.
"I try so hard..." I can't tell if I'm crying or if it's just rain on my face. "I just wanted to cross the damn street." I notice a book trying desperately to stay afloat in the solid white glare of the middle of the street. Sloppily I crawl to get it before the drain takes it from me permanently.
SCREECH. PAINSNAP. PAIN. Voices...
That's funny, my tongue tastes that peculiar metallic scent I had smelled on the bricks... So much rain...
It was raining the giant heavy drops that cling to your clothes and soak your bones. My hair is sticking to my head in clumps, directing the flow of water down into my face. I don't know why it took me so long to finish reading, but now that I'm done I have to walk home in the dark. There is so much silver glare in my eyes from the puddles of water under the streetlights that I have to stop and let my eyes re-adjust to the darkness every time I pass one. It's raining so heavily that the bricks in the road have a faint metallic scent. It's not so bad walking home this late, this way, there's no one around.
I hate waiting for the stupid sign to allow me to cross the street. I stand here and stand here and wait for it to change so that I can cross the street, but it's like it knows it's me wanting to cross and so it makes me wait longer on purpose! I wait here everyday while I'm tormented by the other students that live in this direction. I swear it does it on purpose!
Well, no one else is here now. I'm not waiting this time!
"HA! You can't stop me sign, I'm crossing now!" As I raised my hand in celebration of my little defiance, my books and papers scattered about like frightened birds.
"Ah hell."
I collapsed onto my knees to pick up my floating belongings.
"I try so hard..." I can't tell if I'm crying or if it's just rain on my face. "I just wanted to cross the damn street." I notice a book trying desperately to stay afloat in the solid white glare of the middle of the street. Sloppily I crawl to get it before the drain takes it from me permanently.
SCREECH. PAINSNAP. PAIN. Voices...
That's funny, my tongue tastes that peculiar metallic scent I had smelled on the bricks... So much rain...


1 Comments:
At 1:15 PM,
Peach said…
I guess I should decide if I'm in the present or the past. Another thing to consider.
Post a Comment
<< Home