Hematite: Scene 3
She held my good arm around her neck and gently propped my body to her as we lumbered together in the rain. There were streaks starting to appear in the sky. It was almost dawn. My cloak had stretched to the ground from the soaking rain.
We reached the gates of my house, and I gestured to the family crest. She placed my hand, gingerly, upon the metal medallion. Immediately my uncle appeared.
"I demand to know where you've been! You cannot come and go as you wish! This is a respected house and you will not disgrace us!"
"Sir, I'm afraid there is a small situation. Please let us in." She moved away from my side so that he could see the blood covering my side where my ribs had punctured my skin.
"Drendyn - get the medics! Darkyn you go help them now!" He was near hysterically screaming at my brothers.
"Sir - there is another issue, can I also ask that only absolutely essential persons be present after we enter?"
I could hear the pause in his mind.
"Of course, Darkyn, clear the entry and keep the rest of your brothers away."
A tall, thin shadow appeared at the gate and silently opened the metal rails.
"Broken ribs, puncture, fractured wrist, sprained ankle."
My brother nodded to her.
Silently and gently he took me from her and near-carried me into the house. He said nothing. He helped me through the empty halls and onto the medic table where my brother Drendyn and my uncle Khial were waiting with the medics. He bowed slightly and left the room, closing the paper doors behind him.
"Now Miss-?"
"Itxata, Daffodil Flower."
"Miss Daffodil- what happened to my son?"
I was still covered by the cloak when the medics came over to me.
"Sir?" The medic questioned me as I had pushed his hand awa from the cloak.
Drendyn came over, put his hands on my face and looked me in the eyes. I had not let anyone see my face until then.
"He died and you revived him flower?"
She bowed, "Yes." She kept her head low, "Died in my arms on the street and I revived."
My uncle perked up, "Why do you speak so awkwardly Flower Daffodil? Your house is a good house."
"Because she does not know how to address the issue to us father." My brother motioned for the medic to come over to me again.
"What issue?"
Drendyn pulled down my hood and raised my head for my uncle to see.
"WHAT?! Where is my son?! If-"
"He's right here father. Your son was born a female-my sister. She would have remained a male except that he died tonight."
"My son is a flower? Why the trick?"
"You would not have saved us had she been a female."
"That is very harsh to say to your father Drendyn... but you are correct. In that time I would not have saved you." He seemed to be somewhere in his mind, deep in thought. He sounded very far away.
"I am old now, and I have found myself longing to have a flower daughter, one from my own house... What is her name?"
"Leliah."
As my uncle looked at me, he smiled.
"She is quite lovely... I've never seen such fiery hair on an Energy-race before...Drendyn, what is that color of fruit that grows in the library?"
"Lyte, father."
"That is perfect! I have a flower daughter, Lyte!"
"What about my studies?" I had been silent until now, and the sound of my own voice startled me, it was so much higher than I was used to.
A shadow crossed over my uncle's face.
"My son died tonight... You must become a true flower!"
I started to protest.
"I can get you into my Garden for Flowers, no one would know that you weren't always a flower - you're young enough to be a bud..."
"Which Garden do you belong to, Flower Daffodil?"
"Ikebana."
My uncle clapped his hands in surprise.
"That is the most honored Flower Garden!"
My situation slammed into me like I had been hit again. I would never be able to study again. I would never read another book. I hung my head slightly.
"I must go prepare for the arrival of my daughter - and mark the death of my son..." As my uncle left, he was singing to himself.
"Leliah, do not give up hope on your studies..." Drendyn looked at Itxata.
"Of course, I will help get in any studies you arrange for her, sir."
I was exhausted and miserable. I just wanted to go to sleep and wake up and be male again.
"I'm going to sleep."
"You will need a new room. I will come and get you when it is ready." Drendyn took Itxata and left me in the medic room.
I think I cried myself to sleep that night.
We reached the gates of my house, and I gestured to the family crest. She placed my hand, gingerly, upon the metal medallion. Immediately my uncle appeared.
"I demand to know where you've been! You cannot come and go as you wish! This is a respected house and you will not disgrace us!"
"Sir, I'm afraid there is a small situation. Please let us in." She moved away from my side so that he could see the blood covering my side where my ribs had punctured my skin.
"Drendyn - get the medics! Darkyn you go help them now!" He was near hysterically screaming at my brothers.
"Sir - there is another issue, can I also ask that only absolutely essential persons be present after we enter?"
I could hear the pause in his mind.
"Of course, Darkyn, clear the entry and keep the rest of your brothers away."
A tall, thin shadow appeared at the gate and silently opened the metal rails.
"Broken ribs, puncture, fractured wrist, sprained ankle."
My brother nodded to her.
Silently and gently he took me from her and near-carried me into the house. He said nothing. He helped me through the empty halls and onto the medic table where my brother Drendyn and my uncle Khial were waiting with the medics. He bowed slightly and left the room, closing the paper doors behind him.
"Now Miss-?"
"Itxata, Daffodil Flower."
"Miss Daffodil- what happened to my son?"
I was still covered by the cloak when the medics came over to me.
"Sir?" The medic questioned me as I had pushed his hand awa from the cloak.
Drendyn came over, put his hands on my face and looked me in the eyes. I had not let anyone see my face until then.
"He died and you revived him flower?"
She bowed, "Yes." She kept her head low, "Died in my arms on the street and I revived."
My uncle perked up, "Why do you speak so awkwardly Flower Daffodil? Your house is a good house."
"Because she does not know how to address the issue to us father." My brother motioned for the medic to come over to me again.
"What issue?"
Drendyn pulled down my hood and raised my head for my uncle to see.
"WHAT?! Where is my son?! If-"
"He's right here father. Your son was born a female-my sister. She would have remained a male except that he died tonight."
"My son is a flower? Why the trick?"
"You would not have saved us had she been a female."
"That is very harsh to say to your father Drendyn... but you are correct. In that time I would not have saved you." He seemed to be somewhere in his mind, deep in thought. He sounded very far away.
"I am old now, and I have found myself longing to have a flower daughter, one from my own house... What is her name?"
"Leliah."
As my uncle looked at me, he smiled.
"She is quite lovely... I've never seen such fiery hair on an Energy-race before...Drendyn, what is that color of fruit that grows in the library?"
"Lyte, father."
"That is perfect! I have a flower daughter, Lyte!"
"What about my studies?" I had been silent until now, and the sound of my own voice startled me, it was so much higher than I was used to.
A shadow crossed over my uncle's face.
"My son died tonight... You must become a true flower!"
I started to protest.
"I can get you into my Garden for Flowers, no one would know that you weren't always a flower - you're young enough to be a bud..."
"Which Garden do you belong to, Flower Daffodil?"
"Ikebana."
My uncle clapped his hands in surprise.
"That is the most honored Flower Garden!"
My situation slammed into me like I had been hit again. I would never be able to study again. I would never read another book. I hung my head slightly.
"I must go prepare for the arrival of my daughter - and mark the death of my son..." As my uncle left, he was singing to himself.
"Leliah, do not give up hope on your studies..." Drendyn looked at Itxata.
"Of course, I will help get in any studies you arrange for her, sir."
I was exhausted and miserable. I just wanted to go to sleep and wake up and be male again.
"I'm going to sleep."
"You will need a new room. I will come and get you when it is ready." Drendyn took Itxata and left me in the medic room.
I think I cried myself to sleep that night.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home