Moonstone: Scene 3

G Major Lusingando

I am in my room, trying desperately to just go to sleep, but Itxata keeps pulling the blankets off of my head.
"Why can't you just leave me alone?"
"Master Drendyn has instructed me to be your private tutor, and I have no intention of letting any bud of mine turn into a weed!"
I was really starting to be annoyed with this short blue haired flower. I pulled the blankets back over my head. I could hear a slight tinkling bell noise. It wasn't the doors, that alert sounded like chirping birds. What was making that noise? I pulled the blankets down just enough so that I could open one eye and see around my foo foo room. Itxata held a small bronze colored object in her hand.
"What is that? Is that making that tinkling sound?"
"It's crying."
"But what is it? Crying?" I sat up in bed.

"Yes it's crying because it's not with it's owner. This is a *Kyr*."
"Is it alive?" It was hard to imagine that the clear sphere she held in her hand was a living creature, but still, she had said it was crying.
"Not exactly, it's part of a living system, and it has some basic needs, but it mostly encodes information."
Now I was really curious! I had never heard of anything like this at all! "We didn't learn about anything like this in academy..." I scooted to the edge of my bed, closer to where Itxata was sitting.
"You mean Garden. You didn't learn about anything like this at the Garden."
"No, I, yes. Yes, I'm sorry, I meant *Garden* - when I was at the Garden." Well, it's just a word, *I* know where I received my education, what did it matter what word I used? Of course then no one would know I was attending one of the most difficult academies in Asa... "What kind of information does it encode?"
"This little gem encodes the owner's DNA sequence and then it does something very special." She smiled. She knew I was intrigued by this little device.
"So what does it do?"
"Do you want to hold it?"
GAH! She didn't answer my question! It was hard enough to accept that it was semi-living, but that it encoded DNA *AND* did something else? This was too much for me to believe!
"I don't think you're telling me the truth."
"So you don't want to hold it? Fine." She went back to touching it. It was still making that tinkling noise. Ok, I admit it. I was beyond curious now. I had to see how it worked! She KNEW I wouldn't be able to stand it!
"Ok, yes I want to hold it."
"Well sorry, you can't now."
"What?! You just asked me!"
"Yeah, but I recanted the offer. Besides, this Kyr is the heart of the Flower world, and you hate being a Flower, so there's really no point in you holding it."
GAH! I fell back into bed and pulled the blankets over my head. "WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST LET ME DIE!" I just wanted to wake up from this terror. I was educated! I was smarter than all this foo foo crap! WHAT DID I EVER DO TO DESERVE THIS PUNISHMENT?!
"Here, hold it. I'll tell you all it's secrets. I know you've been educated by the Academies, but I do have information and knowledge that they do not teach you. Please, tell me what it is that you hate so much about being a Flower? Your brother and I have made arrangements for you to be able secretly to continue your studies, so what is it that you hate so much? What about being male did you love so much you wish you had died that night I saved you?" She was right next to the side of the bed.
I pulled the blankets down over my head. "I miss being confident. I miss understanding who and what I was. I miss being distinguished. In the Academy, I was one of the top students! I miss wearing my Academy uniform, it was like a rank, showing that I went to the best Academy in Asa." I paused and thought about the things I had hated as well... I hated being teased, tortured, tormented, ridiculed, and generally left out of everything. I hated not having any friends other than my family. I hated that every accomplishment I made, every new achievement was marred by the cruel individuals that also attended my Academy.
"You look like there were things you did not like, as well."
I felt guilty.
"Here, now hold the Kyr."
I sat up and held out my hands. When she placed the Kyr in my hands it stopped tinkling, and instead flashed rays of blue, green, and gold like a prism. It seemed to sigh or gurgle happily, and then give off a soft fruity scent. After a few moments of prismatic light, an ethereal image of a blue flower appeared inside the sphere.
"That's the Peacock Water Lotus it's showing you."
"What's that mean? Why is it showing it to me? Why did it stop tinkling? Is this what I saw with that goo covering my head?"
"Ok, I will explain all of that after Ultralight comes for Asa. You look like you could use a bit of rest, so why don't you sleep for a few cycles, and I'll come back then, ok?"
"Can I keep the Kyr while you're gone?"
"Yes, you're it's owner."
I started to ask her a question.
"No, rest now."
This time I didn't have any issues with doing what she said. I fell asleep staring at the holographic like image inside of the Kyr sphere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home