Fire Opal: Scene 9
D Minor Impetuosamente
I was careful not to hurt the special material as I ripped off my clothing and jumped into the dark body suit. There was no way this body suit wasn't made from the same material as that dress. That thought alone raised flags in my brain, but coinciding with the vial label, and Kast being an executive in Arcaiasys... which was a joint project involving Biolazin... Even a complete fool could see that the probability of all of those disparate events simply being a coincidence was absurd.
All white skin covered? Yeah.
Hair completely hidden? Yeah.
Kyr in shoes, vial and syringe in shoes... anything else I need?
Dune.
I checked my interface. His persona tag was still there.
"Are you ready?"
"Hellfire Lyte! This isn't like applying cosmetics! This takes work! Asking me to help you fake a brain scan and an eye-print is one thing, but asking me to do it within such a short- uhh, I just got it. Yeah, I'm ready."
"Whatever I snag, I'll post to you immediately... There's no way I can keep it and research it here."
"Ah hellfire. Sure why not? I'm already helping you break-in, I might as well fence whatever you take."
"Sarcasm noted. I'll contact you when I'm closer to the building."
Ok. You can do this. I know I can.
There was something so wrong about going down the fire escape to get out of the building, but hey, I have to get out undetected. Wait! Is there anything on me that would leave DNA behind? Only my eyelashes. But that's ok, because I took a tour today, and they haven't had time to wipe the DNA yet. Only thing left to tie me would be finger prints now, but they're covered by the gloves. I'm good.
I leapt down the fire escape and ran into the alley. At least I only had a few streets to cross to get to the Biolazin building. It really wasn't that far away, which confused me even more as to why Zyrenak had taken me in the transport. It was actually not quite as hot now as it had been. Eh. Did I go down the wrong alleys? I wasn't anywhere near the Biolazin building. Fine. I'll look up Jing. I stopped behind a building in an alley and checked for the locations of Jing. Ok, I was totally turned around. How did I get so lost? Hmmm. I'd better shoot up now. I'd hate to be caught in a bad spot and need it.
I leaned up against the wall and pulled the vial and syringe out of my shoe. How much did I have left in the vial? HELLFIRE! I didn't have very much left. I would be stupid again. KRIETSIT. I don't want to be dumb. I don't want to lose the thoughts in my brain! I don't want to lose my understanding! Would I lose my mesh-x access? I don't have time to worry about this right now. I sucked just enough into the syringe to stave off my need. I'd better use a different arm this time. I tied off the other arm and thumped the vein. I made a fist. Ok, here it comes. Cold. Crawling. PRESSURE. PRESSURE. PRESSURE. And then the light. I felt like I was floating in light.
I shook off the floating feeling and put the syringe and vial back into my shoe. I'd better hurry. I half ran through the back streets, behind buildings, and through alternate accessways to get to the correct location in Iaonin. How big was this city? I was directly behind the street that the research facility sat on. I peeked around the building. There was no one out. It was quiet and foggy. I really love fog and the way it makes all of the fiber optic business lights glow with halos. The LED street lights glow in a different way in fog, but they were just as nice. I could probably live with every day filled with fog. Then again, I'm kind of weird. You're stalling. Yeah, I know. Now that I'm here, I can't see myself doing this. You can do it. You're just going to look around and get a sample of that vial. That's all. You'll be in and out. This is the biggest thing I've ever attempted. Yeah, and you're talking to yourself again. Right.
"Dune?"
"Yeah."
"Ready? I'm a street away from the building."
"Yeah, I'm ready. When you get up to the access point, just put your head up like everything's fine. I'm going to hijack your feed."
"How did you learn how to do all of this?"
"Because it was the only way I could study the brain scans of an entire race of individuals that no longer existed; the only things left alive were the active brain scans of Energy individuals as they were killed without disengaging."
"Oh." Note to self, don't ask questions you're not prepared to hear answers for, ok? Ok. I started walking towards the building. As I approached the entrance my stomach flittered.
"I'm at the entrance."
"Go ahead and check in."
I put my head up to the access point in order to open the doors. Good thing I was tall otherwise this would have sucked. I felt a warm scan and then a nasty feedback shocked me, but the doors opened.
"Holy hellfire Dune that shocked me."
"I've never tested it on living individuals before."
Gah. The inside of the building was only lit by safety LED path lights, but it was more than enough illumination for me to see. I made my way to the living metal lab. I was being very careful not to brush up against anything, but it was like going through a tight maze. I saw the rack of vials. Oh hellfire Lyte. You are dumb. What the hell are you going to put the sample in? I got up close the vial rack and read the labels.
Control-Maki.
Sample:LKhial-Maki.
Sample:FWLKhial-Maki.
WHAT?! I took the vials out of the rack and squatted down next to a safety LED. The control vial looked like pure living metal, but the other two looked like blood. I looked closely at the other labels... Test:LK/C-Maki, Test:FWL/C-Maki. Those were the mixed vials... I held them down to the LED. Sure enough, they looked like blood with some kind of metallic shimmer. I'm the only L. Khial and FWL. Khial in my entire family. These were samples and tests from me! I had to pull these too and send them to Dune. I'd better slip the vials into my shoes until I find something I can use to collect a sample. Good thing they're small.
I bent down close to the benches to find a syringe or a dish or something to hold a sample in. I went over to what I thought was a bench and was looking closely when I was zapped like I just touched a live wire and was thrown back into another bench. I knocked it completely over. The bench and I came crashing down to the floor together, shattering whatever vials and containers had been sitting on top. KRIETSIT! I cut myself! I had to get up and take the glass that had cut me. Oh hellfire. Now that I was standing I felt really freaking dizzy. I reached out for something to stabilize myself. I put my hand on something very cold. Ah freaking hell. I felt it slithering up over my arm. I reached to pull it off me, but it found my cuts and all freaking hell broke loose. I felt the forceful crawling through my skin. NO! NO NO NO! GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT! I tried and failed to pull it off me. Merciful hell. I dropped to the ground like a sack of bricks. It was crawling in my arms and my head was already pounding. I could feel it crawling all through my veins. I was kicking my legs and thrashing around. My head felt like I was stabbing it with knives. My head was going to explode. I had to hold it together. I had my eyes squinted tightly shut. I started banging my head on the floor and rolling around, my hands pressing tightly against my head.
"GRRRRRNNNNNNNHHHHHHHYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH." I grunted a half scream. I could feel the crawling on the inside of the back of my neck. I kicked over another bench that came crashing down, shattering more glass. My head was pounding with my heart. It was like I was banging from the inside. My skin was burning... it felt like it was peeling off. I couldn't hold my head and put out the fire on my hands at the same time. My eyeballs were pounding. I couldn't stop the pounding. There was so much pressure I couldn't breathe. I kept kicking because I couldn't scream.
When the light came I just laid there. I might as well as been dead, because there was no way I could move yet. I was barely breathing. Holy freaking hellfire. Apparently they have living metal. I pulled myself together enough to stand. I had decimated most of the living metal lab.
"Dune...?"
"Yeah?"
"Can you check my... brain... scan?"
"Are you ok?"
"I've had a small accident. Could you please check me?" I didn't feel right. I felt heavy. Very, very heavy. The warmth from the scan just about made me pass out.
"Holy hellfire."
Oh krietsit.
"Am I ok?"
"I don't know. I can't get a clear scan."
Huh?
"What do you mean?"
"It's like I'm getting a scan of a moving brain."
A moving brain?
"Dune, I'm having a rough time standing. I can't find my balance, and I feel very heavy."
"What happened?"
"Something shocked me and I put my hand in some living metal, apparently."
"Eh..."
"And it forced itself in through my skin."
My leg gave out and I smacked my chin on a bench, biting my tongue. I could taste salty blood.
"Dune, what do I do?" Don't cry! Don't CRY!
"You have to get out of there."
He was right. I tried standing again. I pulled myself from the bench I was leaning against to the next bench I could see. I knocked some equipment off the bench. I stood there for a moment, trying to regain my balance. I tried just walking forward, but I ran into the vial bench, knocking it over. I have to be careful not to step on any glass. I pulled myself to the doorway of the lab. Ok. I made it to the entrance of the lab. I finally had some stabillity back. I started walking out the way I came in, but froze. The front lab lights had come on. I checked the time in my interface. NO FREAKING WAY! There was NO WAY POSSIBLE IT WAS FIRST DAWN! ASIAN! I had to hide! NOW! I turned around and clumsily ran-walked to the wash room as fast as I could manage. I had to keep my hands against the wall so I wouldn't lose my balance.
"DUNE! HELP! THERE'S SOMEONE IN THE BUILDING NOW!"
"HELLFIRE! Ok Lyte calm down calm down. Where are you now?"
"I'm in the wash room. You have to help me get out of here!"
"I need some help. I don't know building codes and architecture encryption. We have to include my friend Tyjer. It's the only way you're going to get out of there!"
Krietsit!
"Lyte, he's on. I just told him we needed his help. It's ok, you can trust him. I've trusted him with some really secret information."
A new persona tag appeared next to Dune's.
"Hi! Dune said you needed my help to get out of a situation. Brief me."
Well, he certainly was quick.
"I've had an accident in the Biolazin building in Iaonin, on Xiaonan street. I need to get out without anyone seeing me. There is as far as I know, one person in the building, but when he sees my accident, there will be many more people here. I'm on the first floor in the wash room."
"Biolazin, eh? All right. Let me get you started out of there. Hang."
Hang? Did he think I could just wait here while he did his building schematic voodoo? Uhhh. I'd better pee while I get the chance.
"That building is the freaking asshole of security, let me tell you."
"Yeah, but can you get me out?"
"Yeah, I can get you out. You can thank your sweet ass that you didn't get yourself in this situation in one of their newer buildings. This one has room for possibilities. You need to get out of the wash room and into a side conference room - leave the wash room and go toward the end of the hall, then take a right and go into the room right around the corner on the right."
I peeked outside of the wash room, the major lights were still not on. I hurried down the hall and took a sharp right and nearly fell into the conference room.
"I'm there."
"Ok, there's probably a table in the center?"
"Yeah."
"Move it. There is an access panel you need to dive into quickly."
I shoved the table out of the way. It made that horrible 'SCOOOCH' noise, but it wasn't loud. I pulled up the rug and unlatched the access panel. Krietsit! There was a security coded entry.
"There's a security coded entry"
"I figured as much. Hang."
It clicked and I pulled it open. I slipped my feet in, and grabbing the cover, dropped down into the passageway.
I heard the scream of the alarm system in panic mode. HELLFIRE!
"The alarm system is activated. I can't shut it off... You need to run straight down that accessway until you can't go straight any further."
I started running. I tripped over my own feet and crashed into the metal wall. Oh I hurt so bad. I pulled myself back up and got to the end of the straight accessway. I could hear transports shaking the ground.
"Now where?"
"You'd better take the left tunnel, but I'll warn you now, it's the harder of the two."
Great. I took the left tunnel. Freaking Krietsit! He wasn't kidding. It stopped being a tunnel and had turned into some urban rock climbing experiment.
"Did they forget to finish it?"
"No, this side was planned for something else a long time ago, but never was executed. I'm having you take this route because it's not going to look like you went this way."
No kidding. I crawled over discarded metal ingots only to be cut up by broken concrete and then sliced by metal fencing... at least that's what it felt like I was going over. I couldn't see jack squat. I hadn't hurt this bad since I was little and had been stuck in the berry bushes. I squished my way through piled boulders into metal plates and rods. There wasn't any muscle in my body not taking a pounding through my concerted effort to get the hell out of here. I had climbed and crawled my way up to the point where there was no more room to go.
"Now where?"
"What do you mean now where? Can you not feel the ladder leading to the street?"
"No, I'm pushed all the way to the ceiling of this access way. I can't go any farther straight."
"Hellfire, it must have collapsed."
Uhhhh. WHAT?!
"Ok ok, I don't know exactly where you are. Can you move to your left?"
"Yeah." I moved to my left, slipped and crashed down into some rocks.
"Do you have room to stand?"
Ah hellfire. I tried to stand. I couldn't completely stretch out.
"Almost. I'm just a hair too tall."
"Ok, can you feel a wall on your left?"
I reached out my arm and waved it around. I caught the slightest touch of something with my middle finger... I moved closer and it felt like a big solid rock.
"I think so."
"Ok, try to move forward."
I cautiously stepped forward, keeping my left hand on the rock and my right out in front of me so I didn't crash into something. The space grew taller and I could stand up straight.
"I can stand straight."
"Ok, keep moving in this direction, you're going to go on a small detour."
I moved forward until my hand clanged into something metal. I felt around. A ladder!
"A ladder?"
"Yeah, take it up. You'll have to stabilize yourself and push the street lid up to get out, but it shouldn't be too hard."
I climbed the ladder and after wrapping my legs around the poles, reached up and pushed as hard as I could on the metal hatch. It didn't budge. I tried it again. I thought I felt it move this time. I pushed it as hard as I could possible manage and it unstuck. I pushed it to the side and climbed up the ladder. I poked my head out and took a look around.
KRIETSIT! I'm off the side of JING! There are a ton of security transports surrounding the Biolazin building. Holy hellfire. That building is lit up like a super nova. I pulled myself up out of the accessway and gently put the hatch back down. I ran down the alley next to Jing and ran and ran and ran until I came to the fire escape at my building.
I stopped to breathe. Ok, I stopped to die because I was breathing so hard. Hellfire, I need to run more.
I climbed up the fire escape and into my suite. I washed my face, stripped off my clothes, and I went to bathe, to clean everything up...
Hellfire. I am so freaking retarded. I will never ever do anything like this again. I fell asleep in the bathing basin full of hot, wonderful water...
I was careful not to hurt the special material as I ripped off my clothing and jumped into the dark body suit. There was no way this body suit wasn't made from the same material as that dress. That thought alone raised flags in my brain, but coinciding with the vial label, and Kast being an executive in Arcaiasys... which was a joint project involving Biolazin... Even a complete fool could see that the probability of all of those disparate events simply being a coincidence was absurd.
All white skin covered? Yeah.
Hair completely hidden? Yeah.
Kyr in shoes, vial and syringe in shoes... anything else I need?
Dune.
I checked my interface. His persona tag was still there.
"Are you ready?"
"Hellfire Lyte! This isn't like applying cosmetics! This takes work! Asking me to help you fake a brain scan and an eye-print is one thing, but asking me to do it within such a short- uhh, I just got it. Yeah, I'm ready."
"Whatever I snag, I'll post to you immediately... There's no way I can keep it and research it here."
"Ah hellfire. Sure why not? I'm already helping you break-in, I might as well fence whatever you take."
"Sarcasm noted. I'll contact you when I'm closer to the building."
Ok. You can do this. I know I can.
There was something so wrong about going down the fire escape to get out of the building, but hey, I have to get out undetected. Wait! Is there anything on me that would leave DNA behind? Only my eyelashes. But that's ok, because I took a tour today, and they haven't had time to wipe the DNA yet. Only thing left to tie me would be finger prints now, but they're covered by the gloves. I'm good.
I leapt down the fire escape and ran into the alley. At least I only had a few streets to cross to get to the Biolazin building. It really wasn't that far away, which confused me even more as to why Zyrenak had taken me in the transport. It was actually not quite as hot now as it had been. Eh. Did I go down the wrong alleys? I wasn't anywhere near the Biolazin building. Fine. I'll look up Jing. I stopped behind a building in an alley and checked for the locations of Jing. Ok, I was totally turned around. How did I get so lost? Hmmm. I'd better shoot up now. I'd hate to be caught in a bad spot and need it.
I leaned up against the wall and pulled the vial and syringe out of my shoe. How much did I have left in the vial? HELLFIRE! I didn't have very much left. I would be stupid again. KRIETSIT. I don't want to be dumb. I don't want to lose the thoughts in my brain! I don't want to lose my understanding! Would I lose my mesh-x access? I don't have time to worry about this right now. I sucked just enough into the syringe to stave off my need. I'd better use a different arm this time. I tied off the other arm and thumped the vein. I made a fist. Ok, here it comes. Cold. Crawling. PRESSURE. PRESSURE. PRESSURE. And then the light. I felt like I was floating in light.
I shook off the floating feeling and put the syringe and vial back into my shoe. I'd better hurry. I half ran through the back streets, behind buildings, and through alternate accessways to get to the correct location in Iaonin. How big was this city? I was directly behind the street that the research facility sat on. I peeked around the building. There was no one out. It was quiet and foggy. I really love fog and the way it makes all of the fiber optic business lights glow with halos. The LED street lights glow in a different way in fog, but they were just as nice. I could probably live with every day filled with fog. Then again, I'm kind of weird. You're stalling. Yeah, I know. Now that I'm here, I can't see myself doing this. You can do it. You're just going to look around and get a sample of that vial. That's all. You'll be in and out. This is the biggest thing I've ever attempted. Yeah, and you're talking to yourself again. Right.
"Dune?"
"Yeah."
"Ready? I'm a street away from the building."
"Yeah, I'm ready. When you get up to the access point, just put your head up like everything's fine. I'm going to hijack your feed."
"How did you learn how to do all of this?"
"Because it was the only way I could study the brain scans of an entire race of individuals that no longer existed; the only things left alive were the active brain scans of Energy individuals as they were killed without disengaging."
"Oh." Note to self, don't ask questions you're not prepared to hear answers for, ok? Ok. I started walking towards the building. As I approached the entrance my stomach flittered.
"I'm at the entrance."
"Go ahead and check in."
I put my head up to the access point in order to open the doors. Good thing I was tall otherwise this would have sucked. I felt a warm scan and then a nasty feedback shocked me, but the doors opened.
"Holy hellfire Dune that shocked me."
"I've never tested it on living individuals before."
Gah. The inside of the building was only lit by safety LED path lights, but it was more than enough illumination for me to see. I made my way to the living metal lab. I was being very careful not to brush up against anything, but it was like going through a tight maze. I saw the rack of vials. Oh hellfire Lyte. You are dumb. What the hell are you going to put the sample in? I got up close the vial rack and read the labels.
Control-Maki.
Sample:LKhial-Maki.
Sample:FWLKhial-Maki.
WHAT?! I took the vials out of the rack and squatted down next to a safety LED. The control vial looked like pure living metal, but the other two looked like blood. I looked closely at the other labels... Test:LK/C-Maki, Test:FWL/C-Maki. Those were the mixed vials... I held them down to the LED. Sure enough, they looked like blood with some kind of metallic shimmer. I'm the only L. Khial and FWL. Khial in my entire family. These were samples and tests from me! I had to pull these too and send them to Dune. I'd better slip the vials into my shoes until I find something I can use to collect a sample. Good thing they're small.
I bent down close to the benches to find a syringe or a dish or something to hold a sample in. I went over to what I thought was a bench and was looking closely when I was zapped like I just touched a live wire and was thrown back into another bench. I knocked it completely over. The bench and I came crashing down to the floor together, shattering whatever vials and containers had been sitting on top. KRIETSIT! I cut myself! I had to get up and take the glass that had cut me. Oh hellfire. Now that I was standing I felt really freaking dizzy. I reached out for something to stabilize myself. I put my hand on something very cold. Ah freaking hell. I felt it slithering up over my arm. I reached to pull it off me, but it found my cuts and all freaking hell broke loose. I felt the forceful crawling through my skin. NO! NO NO NO! GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT! I tried and failed to pull it off me. Merciful hell. I dropped to the ground like a sack of bricks. It was crawling in my arms and my head was already pounding. I could feel it crawling all through my veins. I was kicking my legs and thrashing around. My head felt like I was stabbing it with knives. My head was going to explode. I had to hold it together. I had my eyes squinted tightly shut. I started banging my head on the floor and rolling around, my hands pressing tightly against my head.
"GRRRRRNNNNNNNHHHHHHHYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH." I grunted a half scream. I could feel the crawling on the inside of the back of my neck. I kicked over another bench that came crashing down, shattering more glass. My head was pounding with my heart. It was like I was banging from the inside. My skin was burning... it felt like it was peeling off. I couldn't hold my head and put out the fire on my hands at the same time. My eyeballs were pounding. I couldn't stop the pounding. There was so much pressure I couldn't breathe. I kept kicking because I couldn't scream.
When the light came I just laid there. I might as well as been dead, because there was no way I could move yet. I was barely breathing. Holy freaking hellfire. Apparently they have living metal. I pulled myself together enough to stand. I had decimated most of the living metal lab.
"Dune...?"
"Yeah?"
"Can you check my... brain... scan?"
"Are you ok?"
"I've had a small accident. Could you please check me?" I didn't feel right. I felt heavy. Very, very heavy. The warmth from the scan just about made me pass out.
"Holy hellfire."
Oh krietsit.
"Am I ok?"
"I don't know. I can't get a clear scan."
Huh?
"What do you mean?"
"It's like I'm getting a scan of a moving brain."
A moving brain?
"Dune, I'm having a rough time standing. I can't find my balance, and I feel very heavy."
"What happened?"
"Something shocked me and I put my hand in some living metal, apparently."
"Eh..."
"And it forced itself in through my skin."
My leg gave out and I smacked my chin on a bench, biting my tongue. I could taste salty blood.
"Dune, what do I do?" Don't cry! Don't CRY!
"You have to get out of there."
He was right. I tried standing again. I pulled myself from the bench I was leaning against to the next bench I could see. I knocked some equipment off the bench. I stood there for a moment, trying to regain my balance. I tried just walking forward, but I ran into the vial bench, knocking it over. I have to be careful not to step on any glass. I pulled myself to the doorway of the lab. Ok. I made it to the entrance of the lab. I finally had some stabillity back. I started walking out the way I came in, but froze. The front lab lights had come on. I checked the time in my interface. NO FREAKING WAY! There was NO WAY POSSIBLE IT WAS FIRST DAWN! ASIAN! I had to hide! NOW! I turned around and clumsily ran-walked to the wash room as fast as I could manage. I had to keep my hands against the wall so I wouldn't lose my balance.
"DUNE! HELP! THERE'S SOMEONE IN THE BUILDING NOW!"
"HELLFIRE! Ok Lyte calm down calm down. Where are you now?"
"I'm in the wash room. You have to help me get out of here!"
"I need some help. I don't know building codes and architecture encryption. We have to include my friend Tyjer. It's the only way you're going to get out of there!"
Krietsit!
"Lyte, he's on. I just told him we needed his help. It's ok, you can trust him. I've trusted him with some really secret information."
A new persona tag appeared next to Dune's.
"Hi! Dune said you needed my help to get out of a situation. Brief me."
Well, he certainly was quick.
"I've had an accident in the Biolazin building in Iaonin, on Xiaonan street. I need to get out without anyone seeing me. There is as far as I know, one person in the building, but when he sees my accident, there will be many more people here. I'm on the first floor in the wash room."
"Biolazin, eh? All right. Let me get you started out of there. Hang."
Hang? Did he think I could just wait here while he did his building schematic voodoo? Uhhh. I'd better pee while I get the chance.
"That building is the freaking asshole of security, let me tell you."
"Yeah, but can you get me out?"
"Yeah, I can get you out. You can thank your sweet ass that you didn't get yourself in this situation in one of their newer buildings. This one has room for possibilities. You need to get out of the wash room and into a side conference room - leave the wash room and go toward the end of the hall, then take a right and go into the room right around the corner on the right."
I peeked outside of the wash room, the major lights were still not on. I hurried down the hall and took a sharp right and nearly fell into the conference room.
"I'm there."
"Ok, there's probably a table in the center?"
"Yeah."
"Move it. There is an access panel you need to dive into quickly."
I shoved the table out of the way. It made that horrible 'SCOOOCH' noise, but it wasn't loud. I pulled up the rug and unlatched the access panel. Krietsit! There was a security coded entry.
"There's a security coded entry"
"I figured as much. Hang."
It clicked and I pulled it open. I slipped my feet in, and grabbing the cover, dropped down into the passageway.
I heard the scream of the alarm system in panic mode. HELLFIRE!
"The alarm system is activated. I can't shut it off... You need to run straight down that accessway until you can't go straight any further."
I started running. I tripped over my own feet and crashed into the metal wall. Oh I hurt so bad. I pulled myself back up and got to the end of the straight accessway. I could hear transports shaking the ground.
"Now where?"
"You'd better take the left tunnel, but I'll warn you now, it's the harder of the two."
Great. I took the left tunnel. Freaking Krietsit! He wasn't kidding. It stopped being a tunnel and had turned into some urban rock climbing experiment.
"Did they forget to finish it?"
"No, this side was planned for something else a long time ago, but never was executed. I'm having you take this route because it's not going to look like you went this way."
No kidding. I crawled over discarded metal ingots only to be cut up by broken concrete and then sliced by metal fencing... at least that's what it felt like I was going over. I couldn't see jack squat. I hadn't hurt this bad since I was little and had been stuck in the berry bushes. I squished my way through piled boulders into metal plates and rods. There wasn't any muscle in my body not taking a pounding through my concerted effort to get the hell out of here. I had climbed and crawled my way up to the point where there was no more room to go.
"Now where?"
"What do you mean now where? Can you not feel the ladder leading to the street?"
"No, I'm pushed all the way to the ceiling of this access way. I can't go any farther straight."
"Hellfire, it must have collapsed."
Uhhhh. WHAT?!
"Ok ok, I don't know exactly where you are. Can you move to your left?"
"Yeah." I moved to my left, slipped and crashed down into some rocks.
"Do you have room to stand?"
Ah hellfire. I tried to stand. I couldn't completely stretch out.
"Almost. I'm just a hair too tall."
"Ok, can you feel a wall on your left?"
I reached out my arm and waved it around. I caught the slightest touch of something with my middle finger... I moved closer and it felt like a big solid rock.
"I think so."
"Ok, try to move forward."
I cautiously stepped forward, keeping my left hand on the rock and my right out in front of me so I didn't crash into something. The space grew taller and I could stand up straight.
"I can stand straight."
"Ok, keep moving in this direction, you're going to go on a small detour."
I moved forward until my hand clanged into something metal. I felt around. A ladder!
"A ladder?"
"Yeah, take it up. You'll have to stabilize yourself and push the street lid up to get out, but it shouldn't be too hard."
I climbed the ladder and after wrapping my legs around the poles, reached up and pushed as hard as I could on the metal hatch. It didn't budge. I tried it again. I thought I felt it move this time. I pushed it as hard as I could possible manage and it unstuck. I pushed it to the side and climbed up the ladder. I poked my head out and took a look around.
KRIETSIT! I'm off the side of JING! There are a ton of security transports surrounding the Biolazin building. Holy hellfire. That building is lit up like a super nova. I pulled myself up out of the accessway and gently put the hatch back down. I ran down the alley next to Jing and ran and ran and ran until I came to the fire escape at my building.
I stopped to breathe. Ok, I stopped to die because I was breathing so hard. Hellfire, I need to run more.
I climbed up the fire escape and into my suite. I washed my face, stripped off my clothes, and I went to bathe, to clean everything up...
Hellfire. I am so freaking retarded. I will never ever do anything like this again. I fell asleep in the bathing basin full of hot, wonderful water...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home